Attention community organizations, educators, and changemakers in the Washington County area – The Downeast Wind Community Grant Program is now accepting applications for Fall 2021 grant awards.
Earlier this year, the program provided $1,500 grants to five different local organizations working to build healthy communities, increase environmental sustainability, foster economic development, and promote education throughout the region, including:
- Downeast Hospice Volunteers
- American Legion Narraguagus Post #8
- Downeast Institute for Applied Marine Research and Education
- Downeast Lakes Land Trust
- Downeast Salmon Federation
Grants are typically awarded in $250 to $4,000 increments, with priority given to proposals that demonstrate meaningful impacts to the greatest number of area residents. We will be accepting applications until November 15, 2021 on our website: www.downeastwindfarm.com/grant
The focus areas for the Downeast Wind Community Grant Program are as follows:
Building Healthy Communities – Programs that support public health, good government, open communication, citizen resources, and/or enhance the quality of life in the community.
Economic Development – Apex Clean Energy supports and encourages the entrepreneurial spirit. It is part of our mission to serve as a catalyst for economic opportunity and development within the communities where we operate.
Environmental Sustainability – Programs that possess a strong link to environmental revitalization, sustainability, or education thereof, empower residents to be stewards of the environment, and/or encourage partnerships to address environmental concerns and sustainability.
- Promoting Education – Programs that support educational institutions, the advancement of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), and training programs for careers in the wind industry. This may include curriculum development, literacy, school readiness, and other initiatives that help students grow into young leaders. Vocational training institutions that help build a skilled workforce are also included and encouraged to apply.
Local organizations working in the Town of Columbia and the broader Washington County community are encouraged to apply.